When it comes to delay caused in giving possession of flats, houses or plots, government bodies and undertakings i.e GMADA, PUDA, HUDA etc.. are treated as being no different. They are bound to follow the law in letter and spirit, as other builders are mandated to do under Consumer Protect Act 1986.
In the instant case, the Greater Mohali Area Development Authority – here in referred as GMADA, has got itself pulled by State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission for not delivering the plot on time.
A Brief summary of facts of the case:
- Complainant applied for residential plot in IT city near Chandigarh International Airport, sector 83 , Mohali , on its launching in year 2016.
- Housing Scheme guaranteed World Class Amenities, Connectivity and Infrastructure for and as being next to International Airport . Most importantly Possession within one year.
- The letter of intent only got issued in year 2017 by GMADA as the possession was delayed particularly of 256.66 square yards , owing to lack of environmental clearance .
- Thus, GMADA was unable to issue letter of allotment and still needed 6 more months for developmental activities to get completed.
- The most interesting thing is the entire 95% amount got deposited by GMADA on false and untenable ground.
- Since GMADA failed, miserably to offer possession in January, 2018, they are bound to offer compensation along with @ 12% interest on deposited amount of Rs.50.52 lakh from January 2018 till actual physical delivery of possession of the plot.
- Rs. 55,000/- amount was further ordered to be given as compensation to the complainant- a Retired. Govt. Employee.
Government Entities and Agencies like GMADA, PUDA HUDA etc. are under ethical and moral responsibility of providing affordable housing facilities to common public, where time is of essence.
Delay in possession brings distrust in public and further worsen the economic condition of middle class in this country.
Therefore, they must adhere to terms and conditions or else consumer courts will scold them time and again.
Rest, Best / Top / Expert Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission Punjab Haryana and Chandigarh are always there to assist you out.
For more info, Please dial 99888-17966