COURTESY: HT News
Consumer courts of Chandigarh, Panchkula, Mohali and even State Consumer Commission are now flooded with the cases of Medical Negligence. With the commercialisation of Medical Services, negligence is becoming so frequent amongst medical practitioners. Sometimes the person is likely to survive and sometimes, the person is dead. But Justice must be served in both cases.
HERE IS ONE PARTICULAR CASE, FACTS:
- Jatinder k. Joshi of sector 15 filed complaint that his wife has died on Aug.23.2014, owing to casual deficient and negligent treatment and service of doctors at Fortis hospital. He sought compensation of Rs. 36 Lakhs.
- On June 23.2014 doctors advised his wife knee replacement surgery. Complainant shared their concern regarding rainy season to which doctors said it will all be ok.
- On July 11, 2014, she went for surgery where she suffered fever and were advised painkillers before getting discharged on July, 17.
- She continued to suffer frequent bouts of high fevers, chills and was referred to Dr. Vishal Bhambri.
- Her condition worsened and was admitted to Forts again on August 21,2014. She waited for Dr. Bhambri’s consultation but he did not paid any heed to her requests. On the same night she was rushed to Alchemist Hospital, where she expired on Aug 23, 2014.
- Doctors of the hospital denied the connection of surgery with the death and said she suffered from E-coli infection.
- Fortis hospital replied that the post discharge process of the deceased was ok and the deceased has got herself checked in department of medicine for an unrelated medical condition two months after the surgery. They strictly denied negligence.
The court did not found the reply of the hospital satisfactory. Thus, gave following verdict:
- Directors to Fortis hospital and Dr. Vishal to pay Rs. 30 lakhs as compensation jointly and severally as mental loss, pain and loss of consortium at 7% per annum from the date of filing complaint, and 33, 000 for litigation expenses.
Thus, one must consider BEST/Expert/TOP Medical Negligence Lawyers/Advocates of the State Consumer Commission before filing their case. The damage can’t be repaired but justice can be delivered. For more info, dial 99888-17966. This post is written by Advocate Satish Mishra.