Panel Recommendation on Sexual Harassment.
In 2013 act to protect woman from sexual harassment at their workplace was made known as the Sexual Harassment Of Women At Workplace ( Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal ) Act ,2013.
But only few employees complain against sexual harassment at their workplace.
Where there are more than 10 employees there is a need to implement this law.
Features Of This Act are.
- This act gave a right to complain against sexual harassment and also to have relief.
- It also give chance to defend false Charges against a person.
- Quid pro quo harassment : When supervisor or head of the authority demand that their juniors tolerate sexual harassment.
Hostile work environment : When working environment is unwelcome or offensive.
These concepts are also included in the act and are punishable.
- This act covers all women despite of their age or employment.
- This act covers clients, customers, domestic workers ,woman working in public or private sectors , woman working in organized or unorganized sectors.
- Person in management , supervision or in administrative sector in a workplace are considered as employer.
- Workplace include wide areas , besides office it includes all the areas where employee go for her work.
- Where there are more than 10 employees InternalComplaints Committee must be established in each office.
- At District : Local Complaints Committee should be established.
- Committee will within 90 days do inquiry of a complaint of sexual harassment.
- Then report is given to District Officer who will take action against it in 60 days.
- Complaint Committee can gather evidence as they have power of civil courts.
- If confidentiality is breached under this act then penalty of ₹5000 is imposed.
- Government can also inspect workplaces.
- Section 354 Of Indian Penal Code deals with Sexual Harassment at workplace .
Imprisonment which may extend to 3 years or with fine or both.
- Every Company has to disclose to Government that they have implemented Internal Complaints Committee and employer who does not make such committee is liable to pay fine of ₹ 50,000.
For more info on subject or POSH compliance of your organization, please dial 7888-356908.